Ghost CMS is an open-source platform that allows users to create and manage their own blogs. While Ghost CMS is a powerful platform, choosing the right hosting provider is crucial for ensuring a fast, reliable, and secure experience for your readers. In this post, we'll take a closer look at the factors to consider when choosing a Ghost CMS hosting provider, and we'll review some of the best hosting providers available.
Why choose Ghost over Wordpress?
Ghost CMS and WordPress are two popular platforms for building and managing websites, including blogs. While both platforms have their own strengths and weaknesses, they differ in several ways.
- User Interface: Ghost CMS is designed with a minimalist user interface that emphasizes writing and content creation, while WordPress has a more complex interface that includes a wide range of features and options. Ghost CMS's interface is clean and intuitive, making it easier for users to focus on creating content. WordPress's interface can be overwhelming for new users, but it offers more flexibility and customization options.
- Content Management: Ghost CMS is specifically designed for content management, with a focus on publishing blog posts and articles. WordPress is a more versatile platform that can be used for a variety of websites, including blogs, e-commerce sites, and portfolios. WordPress has a wider range of plugins and themes that can be used to customize and extend its functionality, while Ghost CMS is more streamlined for content-focused websites.
- Performance and Security: Ghost CMS is optimized for speed and security, with a focus on delivering fast, reliable performance for content-driven websites. WordPress can be slower and more vulnerable to security threats, although it can be secured with plugins and other measures.
- Cost: Both platforms offer open-source versions that are free to use, but the costs associated with running a website on each platform can vary widely. Ghost CMS requires a hosting plan, while WordPress can be used with free or paid hosting plans, as well as premium themes and plugins that can be expensive.
- Community: WordPress has a larger and more active community of developers and users, which means that there are more resources, tutorials, and support options available. Ghost CMS is a newer platform with a smaller community, although it has a growing user base and developer community.
Ultimately, the choice between Ghost CMS and WordPress depends on your specific needs and preferences. If you're looking for a streamlined, content-focused platform with fast performance and security, Ghost CMS may be the better option. If you need more flexibility, customization options, and support resources, WordPress may be the way to go.
For more information on comparing Ghost to WordPress, check out this link.
Factors to Consider When Choosing a Ghost CMS Hosting Provider:
Server speed and reliability:
When it comes to hosting, speed and reliability are key. A slow or unreliable server can lead to a poor user experience, which can ultimately hurt your blog's success. Look for hosting providers that offer fast server speeds and a reliable uptime guarantee.
Security and backups:
Security is another important factor to consider when choosing a hosting provider. Look for a provider that offers secure hosting options, including SSL certificates and firewalls, as well as regular backups to protect your data.
Support and customer service:
If you're new to blogging or have limited technical experience, choosing a hosting provider with good customer support is essential. Look for providers that offer 24/7 customer support via phone, email, or live chat.
Pricing and plans:
The cost of hosting can vary widely, so it's important to consider your budget when choosing a provider. Look for providers that offer competitive pricing plans with transparent pricing and no hidden fees.
Features and add-ons:
Finally, consider the additional features and add-ons offered by the hosting provider. Some providers may offer a simple, bare-bones hosting solution, while others may include additional features like website builders, automatic backups, and content delivery networks (CDNs).
In-Depth Review of the Top Ghost CMS Hosting Providers
DigitalOcean is a cloud hosting provider that offers a variety of hosting options, including hosting for Ghost CMS. DigitalOcean's hosting plans offer fast server speeds, easy scalability, and affordable pricing.
DigitalOcean's hosting plans start at just $5/month, making it an affordable option for bloggers. The platform is easy to use, and their cloud hosting options offer fast server speeds and easy scalability. DigitalOcean's support team is available 24/7, and they offer a variety of helpful resources and tutorials for new users.
DigitalOcean is a cloud computing platform that offers virtual private servers (VPS) and other cloud-based hosting services. It was founded in 2011 and has since grown into one of the largest and most popular cloud hosting providers in the world.
Some key features and benefits of DigitalOcean include:
- Simplicity: DigitalOcean is known for its simplicity and ease of use. It offers a user-friendly control panel that allows users to create and manage cloud servers, storage, and other resources with just a few clicks.
- Flexibility: DigitalOcean offers a variety of cloud-based hosting services, including VPS hosting, object storage, load balancers, and more. This allows users to choose the resources they need and scale their hosting plan as their website grows.
- Performance: DigitalOcean's cloud servers are optimized for speed and performance, with solid-state drives (SSDs) and data centers located around the world to ensure fast load times and minimal downtime.
- Pricing: DigitalOcean offers a simple and transparent pricing model, with hourly billing and no long-term contracts. This makes it easy for users to control their hosting costs and pay only for the resources they use.
- Community: DigitalOcean has a large and active community of developers and users, with a wealth of resources, tutorials, and support options available.
In addition to these features, DigitalOcean also offers a range of developer tools and integrations, such as one-click installs for popular web applications, API access, and pre-configured Docker images.
Dream it. Build it. Grow it.
Bluehost is a popular hosting provider that offers a range of hosting plans for Ghost CMS. Bluehost's plans include a free SSL certificate, daily backups, and 24/7 customer support.
Bluehost was founded in 2003 and is based in Orem, Utah. It is one of the largest and most well-known web hosting providers in the world, hosting millions of websites.
Some key features and benefits of Bluehost include:
- Shared Hosting: Bluehost offers shared hosting plans that are affordable and easy to use, making them a popular choice for individuals and small businesses. These plans include a free domain name for the first year, unlimited bandwidth, and a website builder tool.
- WordPress Hosting: Bluehost is an official WordPress hosting partner, offering optimized hosting plans specifically designed for WordPress websites. These plans include automatic WordPress updates, site backups, and a customized dashboard for managing WordPress sites.
- Performance: Bluehost's servers are optimized for speed and performance, with SSD storage, Cloudflare integration, and data centers located around the world to ensure fast load times and minimal downtime.
- Support: Bluehost offers 24/7 support via phone, chat, and email, as well as a knowledge base and video tutorials to help users troubleshoot issues and learn how to use their hosting services.
- Scalability: Bluehost offers a range of hosting plans, from shared hosting to VPS and dedicated hosting, allowing users to easily scale their hosting as their website grows.
Bluehost's hosting plans start at $2.95/month, making it a budget-friendly option for bloggers. Their plans include a free SSL certificate, daily backups, and 24/7 customer support. Bluehost is also a popular option for bloggers who want an easy-to-use platform with a range of features and add-ons.
In addition to these features, Bluehost also offers a variety of other services, such as domain registration, email hosting, and marketing tools.
Everything your website needs from start-up to success!
Midnight is a comparative newcomer to the Ghost hosting world. Their Ghost hosting plans are managed, which means that they handle server maintenance, security, and updates for you, allowing you to focus on creating content for your website. They also offer 24/7 support through email, chat, or phone.
Here are some key features offered by Midnight:
- A Ghost blog on Midnight has all the features available to all Ghost version 5 users (including members & subscriptions), completely pre-configured for you, no databases, domains or email to configure - all you need to do is log in!
- Midnight takes care of the server maintenance, monitoring and security updates so you don't have to. Your site is also automatically updated with the latest Ghost versions as they are released.
- Midnight hosts your website on servers containing only enterprise-grade solid state disks (SSDs) technology and best-in-class network connectivity for the ultimate blog speed performance.
- All blogs automatically come with an SSL/TLS certificate for secure HTTPS browsing. Bring your own domain to replace their free subdomain and they will set it up for free.
- Never worry about losing your content, all their blogs are automatically backed up daily to additional network storage. Any data on your blog is also owned by you, no sneaky terms.
- When your Ghost blog is hosted by Midnight there is no need to worry about any technical stuff. They setup everything and provide support for the life of your plan. Got a question or a problem just ask.
In terms of pricing, Midnight's Ghost hosting plans range from $15 to $65 per month, depending on the features and resources included. They also offer a 30-day money-back guarantee, so you can try out their services risk-free.
Create your own Ghost blog & newsletter instantly
When it comes to hosting your Ghost CMS blog, there are a variety of options to choose from. By considering factors like server speed and reliability, security and backups, support and customer service, pricing and plans, and features and add-ons, you can find a hosting provider that meets your needs. While DigitalOcean, Bluehost, and Midnight are three great options, be sure to do your research and find the provider that's right for you.